Are Ombre and Balayage the same thing?

The most common question I get asked as a hair dresser is, are ombre and balayage the same thing? Second most common question, what is the difference between ombre and balayage? I know I've mentioned this briefly in a post before but lets be serious, who can find that post? I certainly couldn't, so here we are with an entire post dedicated to ombre and balayage.

Can I have the origin please?
Ombre is a French work meaning "shading" or "shaded".
Balayage is a French word meaning "sweep" or "handpainting".

Great Erika, what in the world does that even mean in relation to my hair?
When you think of ombre you most likely think darker roots faded to lighter ends, with a select few pieces lighter by the roots... think shading. When you think of balayage you probably also think darker roots faded to lighter ends, with a select few pieces lighter by the roots... think technique, think placement.

Great Erika, so what's the difference between ombre and balayage?
In short, balayage is a technique used to achieve the ombre. There are many other color styles that can be achieved using the balayage technique. Balayage technique does not exclusively achieve an ombre. Just as an ombre doesn't exclusively require the balayage technique. Having said that, in most* cases the balayage technique is most efficient for achieving an ombre.

The reason many don't know the difference is because they often go hand in hand. In order to efficiently achieve an ombre (shading from dark to light), stylists typically use the balayage technique of handpainting. This technique allows the stylist to strategically place highlights exactly where the he/she wants them to be. The picture above is a before and after I did using the balayage technique to achieve an ombre.

*most cases, not ALL cases.



I hope you enjoyed this post and/or found it useful! To continue to show support for me and my efforts, check out my cruelty-free, woman-owned small business, made in the USA! https://www.roxdollcosmetics.com/

It's the hair, scalp, and skincare you DESERVE!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEW OLD SHOES HAUL TRY ON SHOE COLLECTION

What Happened To Me After I Left LimeLight By Alcone

Gloss, Glaze, Toner, what's the difference?