What Are Face Serums? Are They Worth It or Even Necessary?

Are serums worth the pricey price tag? Are they even a necessary step in your skin care routine?  Before we can decide this we need to understand exactly what a serum is and what it is used for.

A serum is a lightweight moisturizer that penetrates deeper than a traditional moisturizer, to deliver the active ingredient(s) to your skin. Serums only moisturize to a certain extent therefore they should be used with a moisturizer. Serums should be applied twice daily. First application should come after cleaning and toning your face, preferably on damp skin. When it comes to serums, less is more for not only your skin care routine but also your budget. After applying your serum, wait a few minutes to give the active ingredients time to work their magic and then apply a sunscreen or moisturizer of your choice. A serum should be applied again at night, after you wash the day off your face. Again, wait a few minutes for the active ingredients to work their magic and then apply your favorite night time moisturizer.

Now that we know when we should use a serum, along with how and why, let's talk about if serums are necessary for YOUR skincare routine. Sometimes the answers to questions can be found on the internet and other times we have to decide the answers for ourselves. Something like a serum would come down to a matter of opinion. Is it worth spending anywhere from $20 to over $100 on a serum that should be used in conjunction with a moisturizer? That is something you have to decide for yourself. Do you have the money to spend/ do you WANT to spend the money on a pre-moisturizer, moisturizer? No one knows your budget better than you do. Just as no one knows how many steps in your skin care routine you have time for in the morning and at night.

So here is my overly pessimistic opinion in which I am sure I will get a message or two about how I am lazy and should submerge myself in sage to rid myself of the negativity, oh how I love the internet! Any who, for me, I think serums are a waste of time and money. They are NOT a necessary step for your skin care routine. Skip the serums (and primers) and find the right moisturizer for your skin. When I say "right" moisturizer I in no way mean expensive or over the top. There are plenty of excellent moisturizers that can be found at your local drugstore, CVS etc. Keep in mind if you have dry skin, oily, combo, aging, normal, sensitive... all will play a factor in finding the right moisturizer for you. I recommend doing a little research to find out what would work best for the skin type you have. Everyone's skin is different and therefore responds differently to different products. I recommend reading reviews before you decide to make a purchase. For the most helpful reviews, skip all the fluff and find reviewers who have the same skin type as you.

 I hope in no way to deter anyone from purchasing or trying out any product they have an interest in or want to try. You should always draw your own conclusion just as I have done.

I hope you enjoyed this post and/or found it useful! To continue to show support for me and my efforts, check out my cruelty-free, woman-owned small business, made in the USA! https://www.roxdollcosmetics.com/
It's the hair, scalp, and skincare you DESERVE!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEW OLD SHOES HAUL TRY ON SHOE COLLECTION

What Happened To Me After I Left LimeLight By Alcone

Gloss, Glaze, Toner, what's the difference?